If you have a question and need an answer, email me at realtalk4u2011@yahoo.com Any and all contact information will remain anonymous unless you include it in your letter content. Letters containing religious, sexually, and/or racially offensive language will not be posted to this blog. Also visit my other site REAL TALK RANTS

Thursday, October 13, 2011

A DREAM DEFERRED

Dear Nikki G,
I have a problem.  I am a sophmore attending UCLA, majoring in  psychology.  I am the youngest of three kids, and the first to get accepted to a university.  My mother is single, and raised us on her own, she is working really hard to put me through school, and I appreciate it.  Since I was younger I have always wanted to sing professionally, I am really talented, and want to pursue it.  My mother, and the rest of my family thinks it's crazy.  I feel like they don't have faith in me.  I am thinking about leaving school for awhile, it's to the point where I hate going to class everyday, all I want to do is sing.  I don't want to disappoint my mother but I think I owe it to myself to try.  How should I tell her?




First let me say congratulations!  Being accepted into UCLA is a major accomplishment.  This is a very important time for you, the decisions you make now, are going to have a major impact on the rest of your life, so think long and hard before jumping into anything.  The reality is that there are a lot of talented singers out here, but the majority of them never make it, not to say that you won't.  Let me suggest this, pursue your dream, but stay in school at the same time.  There's no reason why you can't do both.  Go to class and study... you can plan any shows, auditions etc... around your school schedule.  You are going to have some exhausting days and nights, but if you are truly committed to making it, you'll pull through.   You might also want to think about changing your major, maybe psychology isn't for you.  There are a lot of "behind the scenes" careers in the music business that might interest you.  You can use your UCLA degree to get your foot in the door, and then find the opportunity to showcase your talent once you're in...make your education work for you!  It's hard to break into the business, so it's important that you build a solid foundation for yourself, just in case things don't work out the way you think they will.  Use your education as a tool to help you get where you want to be, find a major that will support your new career plans.  If you approach your mother with a practical plan that highlights you pursuing your dream, but also includes you finishing your education , I'm sure she'll be on board!

No comments:

Post a Comment