If you have a question and need an answer, email me at realtalk4u2011@yahoo.com Any and all contact information will remain anonymous unless you include it in your letter content. Letters containing religious, sexually, and/or racially offensive language will not be posted to this blog. Also visit my other site REAL TALK RANTS

Monday, October 3, 2011

MISERY LOVES COMPANY

Hey Nikki
Something has really been bothering me  lately.  My mother and I have never really had a good relationship. When I was younger we never really got along, now that I'm older I thought things would change, but they haven't. She's always down playing my accomplishments (like me graduating from college), and me doing a damn good job of raising my 3 kids by myself.  She doesn't deal with my kids at all  She has been single for over 10 years now, and always has something negative to say about my fiance.   I'm getting married in 2 months to a really good man who loves me and has been helping raise my children which aren't even his, and I'm really thinking about not even inviting her. I want her there but she doesn't like my fiance, and she said that I shouldn't get married, so I don't want her to bring all the BS to my wedding.  I've been thinking hard about cutting her off completely, smh I don't know... 



Some times you have to learn to love from a distance.  The reason you feel like she "down plays your accomplishments", is because you're expecting certain reactions from her, and you're not getting them.   Stop expecting! If you have already told her how you feel about this, and she hasn't changed, then stop placing your expectations on her, you're only setting yourself up for disappointments.  I know it's hard to not expect your mother to be supportive, and unconditionally loving, but maybe it's just not in her.  Leave room for the possibility that maybe she doesn't know how to be the mother you expect her to be, and doesn't know how to give you what you need from her.  Maybe the way she was raised, or something in her past prevents her from loving the way you think she should.  Things might change in the future, so don't cut her completely off.  Just continue to keep in contact with her, call her every once in a while and just tell her you love her.  Just "agree to disagree" about the small things, and move on.  As for your wedding , if you truly believe her being there would ruin your day, then don't invite her.  But my suggestion is to talk to her first, let her know that you want her there but you don't need the negative energy.  If she can't find it in herself to put aside your differences for this one day, then tell her not to come.  You'll feel much better about whatever decision you make, as long as you know you tried, and at least extended her the invitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment